Thursday, September 27, 2012

Reflection

I did not know much about the different sects of Buddhism.  I knew more about zen buddhism because I have read a couple books on it before.  It was really interesting to learn about the different schools and their different positions on various topics within the religion.  I also did not know much about Buddhist traditions and practices apart from meditation.  It was really fascinating to learn about the mandalas, and the symbolism behind them.  I do not have a religion, however many of the tenets of Buddhism ring true to what I believe and many do not.  I do not believe anyone should live their life dispassionately, however I understand how this unattachment may lead to a life with less suffering.  I believe that many of the beliefs about compassion, and treating others and yourself well are valid and are a good thing to follow to improve your life, and the life of others.  Many things in Buddhism make sense for me, but many do not.  I do not personally believe in any supernatural beings, which neither does Buddhism, however some schools believe that buddhas and bodhisattvas are in a place beyond this world.  I find meditation most interesting I think.  I hope to try it some time, and experience the mental clarity which it allegedly gives you.  I think it is a really cool concept, however I think I would fall asleep too easily.  Buddhism is a fascinating religion, and I hope to learn more about it in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment